award-winning educator, mental health advocate, social entrepreneur, inspirational speaker, author/writer, program executive, and radio host
Our lived-experiences teach valuable lessons and our authentic stories help others to do the same!
For years, I didn't share my long journey to academic successes because I was ashamed and worried about being judged, which almost prevented me from furthering my education.
In recent years (in discussing my story with opportunity (at-risk) students and inmates), I learned that ownership of my story/struggles (by being vulnerable) is one of my greatest strengths. This has allowed me to connect with countless students (regardless of location) in meaningful ways.
Throughout my educational journey, I:
* was directed by a principal to leave high school in the tenth grade after failing 6 of 7 classes, along with missing approximately 1/3 of the school year,
* nearly dropped-out of school,
* barely graduated high school in the bottom 8% of my class,
* left two colleges due to academic challenges,
* earned a bachelor's degree,
* was suspended from my MBA program because my GPA dropped slightly below a 3.0,
* earned two graduate degrees,
* am a college professor (ten years) at one of the schools I left due to academic challenges,
* started a non-profit organization "Saving Our Communities at Risk Through Educational Services (SOCARTES)" in 2012 to give-back,
* am a university professor (one year),
* teach inmates about life, business, and soft skills (four years),
* received the 2018 "Martin Luther King, Jr. Drum Major Innovation Service Award" from the U.S. Department of Education's (DOE) "Center for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships," in collaboration with DOE’s White House Initiative for Educational Excellence for African-Americans.
Learn more about Mr. Young's story and work: slyoung.com/inspired.html.
Never Give Up!!!
© 2018: Beyond SPRH, LLC / Email: info (at) slyoung.com / All rights reserved